Tuesday, 2 March 2010

I can't believe they invented it: Skeggings

When Johnathan Aston got in touch to ask if i'd like to try their new "Skegging" I responded (and this is a direct quote) that it sounded a bit ridiculous, but that I was prepared to give it a try.


Skegging is (of course!) an amalgamation of skirt and legging. (of course!) It was the next logical step (I use the word logical loosely) from the legging and jegging family. I grew up in a town called Skegness (Skeg for short) which added to the sense of the ridiculous I had about the whole thing.

However i'm writing this to say don't judge a book by its over. Or a product by its ridiculous name. Because I think I will be wearing my skeggings all summer long!

They are more like very thick footless tights than leggings (although I suppose the name sk-footless tight doesn't work) and they have a fitted body con type skirt attached in the same stretchy fabric.
Here I am showing off the skeggings. I didn't realise how dirty my mirror was until I took this shot!

The reason I love the skegging is thus: all of last summer long , I wore leggings with vests over the top (to cover my rump) and then pretty t shirts on top of the vest. Thats a lot of layers on a hot day! And the skegging negates a whole layer whilst still keeping you covered up. Why not just wear a skirt I hear you ask! Well, the fact that the legging/skirt aspects are attached to each other prevents the embarrassing riding up when you walk/falling down when you bend elements involved in wearing a body con skirt over slippy tights.

I've only tried them once, but found them to be a massive success. However, if weall start calling them skeggings, i'll never wear them again! So I am insisting on a mass boycott of the word skegging in favour of, erm, footless tights attached to a tight skirt, until a better name comes to mind.

What do you think of the idea? And what would you call them?

Love, Tor xx


i love bows:) said...

I saw some of these the other day, and wasnt at all sure...but they look really good in your pic, actually!
I refuse to call them the 'skeg' word though-i had enough issues with jeggings (hated them at first, but they have grown on me lots!)
i think your name is the only sensible one possible!
this does remind me of when i wasd a kid, and it suddenly became trendy for a bout a week to wear those trousers with the skirt attatched to them.


MargieF said...

haha i really didnt see this one coming they actually look pretty good!
i haaaate finding things to cover my less than perfect legs in summer and these look like good alternatives!

Dolly Daydream aka Jasmine said...

I don't think the fashion industry could get much more insane as long as you say there comfortable my dearie I believe you! It is quite genius in a weird way though!

Much Love,

From Dolly

Harriet said...

I had 'skirt-trousers' when I was younger and that was popular (oh the follies of youth!) but I'm not much of a leggings person think I'll give skeggings a miss. If it reduces the number of people's crotches I am forced to look at on a daily basis because people insist leggings are trousers then I am all for them though!

WendyB said...

They seem to meet a need!

teawithonesugarplease said...

They are not quite a Skort (skirt/shorts) and it is an unfortunate name Skeggins - maybe skirtings sounds a little bit better?

Winnie said...

Oh this reminds me of the days when skirts and trousers used to be in fashion when I was about 10! I'm not sure about the skegging myself though!

TamarD said...

In our community, we call them Skants. Skirt + pants = skants. The pant part is usually a bit looser and the skirt goes to the knees. But they are sublimely comfortable.