Tuesday 2 March 2010

I can't believe they invented it: Skeggings

When Johnathan Aston got in touch to ask if i'd like to try their new "Skegging" I responded (and this is a direct quote) that it sounded a bit ridiculous, but that I was prepared to give it a try.

Photobucket

Skegging is (of course!) an amalgamation of skirt and legging. (of course!) It was the next logical step (I use the word logical loosely) from the legging and jegging family. I grew up in a town called Skegness (Skeg for short) which added to the sense of the ridiculous I had about the whole thing.

However i'm writing this to say don't judge a book by its over. Or a product by its ridiculous name. Because I think I will be wearing my skeggings all summer long!

They are more like very thick footless tights than leggings (although I suppose the name sk-footless tight doesn't work) and they have a fitted body con type skirt attached in the same stretchy fabric.
Photobucket
Here I am showing off the skeggings. I didn't realise how dirty my mirror was until I took this shot!

The reason I love the skegging is thus: all of last summer long , I wore leggings with vests over the top (to cover my rump) and then pretty t shirts on top of the vest. Thats a lot of layers on a hot day! And the skegging negates a whole layer whilst still keeping you covered up. Why not just wear a skirt I hear you ask! Well, the fact that the legging/skirt aspects are attached to each other prevents the embarrassing riding up when you walk/falling down when you bend elements involved in wearing a body con skirt over slippy tights.

I've only tried them once, but found them to be a massive success. However, if weall start calling them skeggings, i'll never wear them again! So I am insisting on a mass boycott of the word skegging in favour of, erm, footless tights attached to a tight skirt, until a better name comes to mind.

What do you think of the idea? And what would you call them?

Love, Tor xx

8 comments:

i love bows:) said...

I saw some of these the other day, and wasnt at all sure...but they look really good in your pic, actually!
I refuse to call them the 'skeg' word though-i had enough issues with jeggings (hated them at first, but they have grown on me lots!)
i think your name is the only sensible one possible!
this does remind me of when i wasd a kid, and it suddenly became trendy for a bout a week to wear those trousers with the skirt attatched to them.

vics

MargieF said...

haha i really didnt see this one coming they actually look pretty good!
i haaaate finding things to cover my less than perfect legs in summer and these look like good alternatives!
MargieF
x

Anonymous said...

I don't think the fashion industry could get much more insane as long as you say there comfortable my dearie I believe you! It is quite genius in a weird way though!

Much Love,

From Dolly
XX
http://dollydaydreamsdomicile.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

I had 'skirt-trousers' when I was younger and that was popular (oh the follies of youth!) but I'm not much of a leggings person think I'll give skeggings a miss. If it reduces the number of people's crotches I am forced to look at on a daily basis because people insist leggings are trousers then I am all for them though!

WendyB said...

They seem to meet a need!

teawithonesugarplease said...

They are not quite a Skort (skirt/shorts) and it is an unfortunate name Skeggins - maybe skirtings sounds a little bit better?

Winnie said...

Oh this reminds me of the days when skirts and trousers used to be in fashion when I was about 10! I'm not sure about the skegging myself though!

TamarD said...

In our community, we call them Skants. Skirt + pants = skants. The pant part is usually a bit looser and the skirt goes to the knees. But they are sublimely comfortable.