Saturday 25 September 2010

The fabfrocks guide to...doing a top knot

Hey guys,
So it's the "must have" hair 'do of the season, and everywhere I turned during London Fashion Week I saw one: yup, i'm talking about the top knot!
Photobucket
So as you can see, I have been giving it a go myself, although I think it would look better if my hair were slightly longer and I didn't have my fringe. But it does look super-stylish, and is one of the easiest updo's i've ever attempted (bar the simple ponytail, of course!) So here's how I did it in 3 simple steps:

1. So the first step is to get your hair into a really high pony tail. I find the easiest way to do this is to turn your head upside down and comb it through and into a high pony tail whilst your head is still upside down. I also put a salt spray through my hair before I start, as it makes it more textured and even thicker (I use a bumble and bumble one that is really good)

2. I then back-comb the ponytail a bit to make it thick and a bit frizzy (because I like my knot to look quite undone)

3. The final step is to wrap the hair around the bobble to create a bun, securing with pins as I go (I usually use four pins around the bun, and then another to tuck my fringe underneath the bun) I then pull some whips out of the bun and sides to make the 'do look more tussled, and cover it in hairspray for longevity: i'm currently using an Aussie one, because it makes my hair smell like peaches!

It's that easy: I'm loving this style, and it's perfect for those lazy days when you can't be bothered to wash and straighten your hair. What's your go-to lazy day style? And do you have any more tips to add on how to create the perfect topknot?

Love, Tor xx

3 comments:

daisychain said...

love it, it really suits you

teawithonesugarplease said...

This sounds so simple I'm going to give it a try

Nancy Gorman said...

wow! you look like Tinker Bell =D!!