Friday 3 February 2012

Daily Wear: The white shirt challenge

Hi guys,
I was presented with quite a challenge when TM Lewin asked me to style one of their classic white shirts. Because of my heavy bust, I'm not much of a shirt wearer, and I almost never wear white because I think it makes me look (much) wider. In fact, I've had the shirt in my wardrobe for more than a week without any idea how I was going to wear it. I'd tried it on with a pleated skirt (and looked like a pensioner) and with jeans (and looked like a chubby American mom).

Then yesterday morning inspiration struck. I ended up throwing this outfit together in less than 10 minutes, and being really rather happy with it:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
OK so I cheated and hid half the shirt, but I maintain that the outfit wouldn't work without it!

I wanted an outfit that would look great for a dinner and cocktails after work, but also work for a busy day of reasonably formal meetings. So I put the shirt on underneath my black shift dress from River Island, which has a slightly sparkly sheen. I then added a statement necklace from Oasis and my Marc by Marc Jacobs watch. I finished the look off fairly simply with my black satchel and black ankle boots.

The dress and the necklace are technically pieces I would only wear in the evening, but the crisp white shirt and sensible ankle boots made them look smarter and more appropriate for something semi formal. Like I said, I loved this look!

Do you own a white shirt, and how do you wear it? Let me know, because this shirt fits like a dream, I'm just not sure how to wear it. I could really use the inspiration!

Love Tor xx

5 comments:

Ronn said...

Ive recently rediscovered my love for a white shirt,
which always reminded me of school uniform before!

Love the outfit

Romina
ignitingbones.blogspot.com

Louise Mc said...

Like you I have a large bust, and because of that I find shirts a bit of a nightmare too. Often I have to go up a size to get them to fit, but then they don't fit nice anywhere else. My sneaky tip though is to wear them with a waistcoat. The waistcoat nips you in and it's a really smart ensemble with jeans and boots... or whatever really. x

Louise Mc said...

Like you I have a large bust, and because of that I find shirts a bit of a nightmare too. Often I have to go up a size to get them to fit, but then they don't fit nice anywhere else. My sneaky tip though is to wear them with a waistcoat. The waistcoat nips you in and it's a really smart ensemble with jeans and boots... or whatever really. x

Anonymous said...

Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I've truly enjoyed surfing around your blog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again very soon!
Scarpa Women's Kailash GTX Lady Hiking Boot

Irena D world said...

love your necklace

http://irenadworld.blogspot.com/