Thursday 8 January 2009

And the DIY begins..

As I mentioned in a previous post, I was gifted a sewing machine from my wonderful parents for Christmas. I've been wanting one for ages, and am really excited about it! However, what I didn't mention previously is that I have no idea how to use it!

But since when did a little thing like skill get in the way of ambition: with a little determination and lots of failed attempts no doubt, i'm sure i'll be making dresses in no time. And to help me on my way i've discovered a wonderful website; http://www.burdastyle.com/ The site has free patterns, how to guides, forums, and is fantastic for novices like me as each task is given a difficulty rating from 1-5, and as long as you follow the simple steps, some of the grade 1's have proven quite achievable.
Here's what i've made so far:

The fabric flower is more of an embellishment than a bonafide project, but it only took about 10 minutes to do and I think it looks really great. I think 6-7 of these on the shoulder of a plain white tshirt would be perfect for the summer.

Draw string bag; it really is the simplest thing to sew isn't it? OK, so they aren't the kind of thing you need all the time. Or in fact, ever, but at least now I know I can officially stitch a straight line on my fabulous sewing machine. And i'm using the bag in my sewing box to hold all my buttons.

Excuse the not exactly fashion forward fabric of my upcoming DIY attempts by the way: whilst i'm still practicing, i'm using old pillow cases and any other scraps of free fabric I can lay my hands on. As soon as I feel a little more confident it will be silk and lace and lux galore!

Next on my hit list is a dress and a cape: awarded 1 and 2 stars respectively, they should prove an achievable challenge...I hope. I realise I won't be making them in the 1-3 hours suggested, but I've downloaded the patterns which i'm busy sizing patiently, and my sister and I are hitting John Lewis tonight to choose the fabric. Hopefully by the end of the month I will have something to show you for my efforts that looks a little like this:
(These are the patterns i'm using by the way. I know you know what a dress and a cape look like)
Wish me luck!
Tor


No comments: