Tuesday 31 August 2010

New Season: Topshop does rock chick

I fell in love with everything I saw in Topshop when I went to check out their new season collections. The Rock Chick look is so easy to incorporate into my everyday style, and it was hard to pick just 6 items to take into the changing rooms with me. Sadly, however, this seasons shapes and styles from Topshop don't love me back. I need structure, nipped waists, and angles. Anything loose and unstructured just makes me look bigger than I am. And don't even get me started on how terrible my legs (by far my worst feature) looked in leather panelled leggings. I so hoped they would work. But they clearly did not.

Here's what I tried on:
I loved the pattern on the long dress, and like a butterfly, was immediately attracted to the colours. But the loose drop waist hid rather than emphasised my figure making me look wide and shapeless.The spidery printed one-shouldered chiffon dress looked lovely, but was far too short for me (is this a sign i'm showing my age!?) The piece I really loved was the drape fronted marble-print satin jacket which was soft and plyable, and would be a great versitile piece to wear over just about everything. The deer T-shirt was another favourite and will look great, given structure: tucked into a highwaisted skirt with heels and a belt.

On the Topshop website I noticed a plethora of flippy little sixties-style dresses with flowing sleeves, similar to the ones I was lusting after on ASOS. I think on my next visit to Topshop (often referred to as the motherland) i'll be trying those, and leaving the leather trousers to the whippersnappers!

Speaking of Topshop the news broke today that the next collection Kate Moss designs for Topshop will be the last. I realise this is ironic, as i'm wearing a Kate Moss @ Topshop dress as I type this, but I for one am ambivilent about this news: the collections were always samey, overpriced for the quality received, and far too overhyped for my liking. Is anybody actually disappointed about this? Would love to hear your thoughts.

Love, Tor xx

5 comments:

Miss Mid 20's said...

I agree about the Kate Moss collections, they mainly seemed to be a lot of money for the name and not so much for the product, though there have been a few nice looking bits. I don't think Topshop is the best anyway, in my experience the clothes don't always last as long as you'd hope and are often poorly made, which is disappointing considering the prices

teawithonesugarplease said...

I kept buying bits of Kate's collection and then sending it back due to the poor fit. So its no great loss that its now over. The Rock chick look is going to be a bit of a challenge to channel but I think if you stick to the harder edge accessories rather than the droopy layers you could pull it off.

Make Do Style said...

Topshop is back on track and Kate Moss thingy will be no loss - it is ok but run out of steam.

WendyB said...

I love your trying-on posts.

I have one Kate Moss piece, a fringed jacket: http://wendybrandes.com/blog/2009/01/going-back-to-cali/

Unknown said...

After reading your post, I thought your thoughts were very naive but as I kept reading on, I do see you have a point. Keep on writing, I will keep on coming by to read your new content. Partywear saree