Friday 11 January 2008

Still dreaming of Balenciaga Blazers.....

Last night I went to sleep with a head full of quirky blazers and chunky shoes with wooden heels. This morning when I woke up I was still thinking about blazers. The blazer is a wardrobe classic. It adds style to the most casual of outfits and has American preppy overtones when teamed with jeans.

The Balenciaga blazer has been everywhere this winter: Vogue has hailed it an 'IT item' and it's been worn by a bevvy of celebs. And I can see why. The cute contrasting coloured trims, the shiny buttons, the unusual lines: what's not to like? Well, the £1240 price tag is probably not to like if your bank balance looks anything like mine, really! But they are amazingly lovely to look at.....





The good (for us, bad for them) thing about the Balenciaga blazer, is how easy the highstreet have found it to copy. According to IamFashion, Zara made a blazer that was such a good replica it had to be taken off the shelves because Balenciaga threatened to sue. And although it's thick velvet fabric isn't to my taste, even Primark made a black velvety replica for the small price of £12.



Schoolboy blazer, Topshop £60
In Topshop on Monday I coverted this 'inspired by' grey jacket: especially the cute anchor buttons and anchor embroidered on the pocket. (I have a bit of a sailor obsession going on at the moment) However this week my budget dictates that a £60 price tag is as out of my range as a £1,240 one and so I had to leave the store minus a satisfyingly heavy carrierbag.
This afternoon I popped into town to get some pizza and chicken from Iceland (I know, my life is soo glam and fashion ) and decided to have a wander round the shops: anything to spend another hour away from my damn incomplete essay! I am pleased to report to you all that New Look have reduced their sale items even further, and you can now pick up a wide variety of loveliness for a mere £1. I picked up a fully lined grey apron shift dress, a puff sleeved black cardigan, a brodiere anglaise salmon pink dress and a sponge bob square pants boobtube. And I had change for a fiver! Result!
I then popped into Peacocks (their 70% off, more prices slashed signs were compelling) and lo and behold, what should I find but this:


Admittedly under normal circumstances I wouldn't team it with my pajamas, but there it is. A lookalike Balenciaga blazer all of my very own. The fit is really lovely, the cut very flattering and I'm really impressed with it! And how much was it I hear you cry? Well my friends, it was the bargain price of just £5. Yes, just five pounds. And it comes in grey/black (shown above) black and white, or khaki and red. I can't remember the last time I felt so fashion-happy......






No comments: